I am making these again today because they’re awesome, and they’re easy. It takes a bit of time in the oven, and the process could be expedited if you cover after adding the eggs. You can also make this with hard centered eggs if you want. My friend, Jeannie gave me the idea of separating the eggs for the cooking process in order to get a runny egg. These were really great and quite simple.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I like Trader Joe’s. Make sure to check ingredients to avoid sugars, nitrates or any ingredients that you do not immediately recognize as real foods)
- 1/4 cup organic marinara (again, check the label for added sugar or oils that aren’t good to consume e.g. canola oil)
- 6 Tbsp mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 green onion or 2 basil leaves, chopped.
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mold the sausage into large ramekins (you could also use a muffin tin though it would be a tighter fit)
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the marinara (low carb) into the cups to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp cheese (or put small slices) over the marinara
- Add the egg to the ramekins (if you want a runny yolk, separate the yolk from the whites and cook the whites first)
- Bake until the egg is set (about 20 minutes–faster if covered). Add yolk back for 3-4 minutes if you reserved it.
- Garnish with green onion or basil, and add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
You can either eat straight out of the ramekin (though it might be hot). You can also take a large spoon, hold the ramekin with tongs, and ease the sausage cup out.